Back in December of 2019, the U.S. Attorney General announced the launch of Operation Relentless Pursuit, an initiative aimed at combating violent crime in a handful of cities across the U.S. including Milwaukee. Local law enforcement and federal agents are working toward reducing gun violence and drug trafficking in major cities, taking into custody those alleged to be involved in crimes. To date, Operation Relentless Pursuit has resulted in nearly one hundred arrests for crimes of homicide, robbery, sexual assault, and weapons charges. More recently, another round of federal investigators from the FBI, DEA, ATF and the U.S. Marshals Service arrived in Milwaukee to continue cracking down on crime under Operation Legend. So far, their efforts have netted more than 200 federal charges, several right here in the Milwaukee area:
- Eight defendants charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm
- Five defendants charged with possession with intent to distribute narcotics
- Four defendants charged with possession of a firearm in furtherance of drug trafficking
- Two defendants charged with making false statements to a licensed firearm dealer
- One defendant charged with possession of a firearm while being an unlawful user of narcotics
- One defendant charged with being a felon in possession of ammunition
- One defendant charged with distribution of narcotics
Federal Versus State Charges
The difference between federal and state charges involves jurisdiction. Federal prosecutors and the federal government prosecute cases involving people charged with federal crimes; the state prosecutor handles state crimes. Penalties for federal crimes are generally more severe than those handed down by state courts. Despite what many believe about double jeopardy, defendants may be charged and convicted in both state and federal court for the same crime.
Contact a Wisconsin Federal Crimes Defense Attorney
When you are charged with both federal and state crimes, it is important to work with a criminal defense attorney who has the experience and expertise to represent you in both state and federal court. Contact the federal crimes defense attorneys or Andrew C. Ladd LLC for immediate assistance when you or a family member is facing state or federal charges.